$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:happy-neko/ps3mediaserver
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install ps3mediaserver
$ sudo gedit /etc/default/ps3mediaserver
– Change PMS_START to “yes”
– Change PMS_USER to your login name
– Change PMS_PROFILE to “/home/YOUR_LOGIN/.config/ps3mediaserver”
Want to be able to fire up GUI application on your server while using putty?
1. You’ll need to download the Xming and Xming-fonts
2. Install both as an administrator by right clicking and selecting “Run as administrator”. You can use the default settings in the installer.
3. Setup xforwarding in the ssh server (using ubuntu 11.10) by editing the ssh config file:
$ sudo nano /etc/ssh/ssh_config
Uncomment the line that says ForwardX11 and set it to yes
4. In putty go to Connection->SSH->X11 and check the box that says “Enable X11 forwarding” and then click open.
5. Make sure Xming is running in your windows machine and now you can execute GUI commands such as
$ xclock &